Fidelity Investments has filed an application for a Metaverse ETF, aiming to track public companies with exposure to the blockchain-based network of three-dimensional, virtual realities.
- The Fidelity Metaverse ETF will track the Fidelity Metaverse Index, which tracks “the performance of a global universe of companies that develop, manufacture, distribute, or sell products or services related to establishing and enabling the Metaverse,” according to the filing
- Fidelity’s application is the latest among companies looking to address skyrocketing interest in the metaverse. Last December, ProShares filed a metaverse ETF application with the SEC.
- In June, Roundhill Investments launched a metaverse ETF that trades on the New York Stock Exchange. Four major South Korean asset management funds are also now listing metaverse-related exchange-traded funds (ETFs), the first in the country.
- Geode Capital Management will be a sub-adviser for the Fidelity fund.
- On Thursday, the SEC refused to approve a Fidelity spot bitcoin ETF adding to the recent list of rejected applications.